Friday, October 8, 2010

7 Oct 2010 (THU) - Waehuiskrans National Reserve

Sunrise was beautiful this morning. I ran to the Waehuiskrans National Reserve again. This area is known as Waenhuiskrans, which means oxwagon caves when translated literally. It takes its name from a huge cave, which was used to house the oxen and wagons used by the early settlers. The morning was greeted by the chirping of many birds.









The Waehuiskrans Cave can only be accessed at low tide. As the tide was already coming in, and I did not want to be stuck in the cave should the tide came in and sealed the entrance, I gave the Cave a miss again. Perhaps I would revisit the Cave in my next trip here.

Instead, I went to the top of the Cave. This fynbos-covered rocks stood about 20 metres above the choppy ocean. I was enjoying the cool morning air when I spotted a Southern Right Whale about 30m from the cliff. And then another, and another … I counted 6 Southern Right Whales bopping in and out of the water. There are two kinds of Right Whale – the Northern Right in the northern hemisphere and the Southern Right Whale in the southern hemisphere. I was an amazing encounter.To mark the successful meeting we had, a wonderful dinner at Die Herberg. And here was cooking our beef and chicken on the braai.Till we meet again ... Ayoba!