Monday, October 4, 2010

3 Oct 2010 (SUN) – Ayoba! Esto Es South Africa!

This is my first visit to South Africa, and the first time I set foot onto African soil. The 14-hours flight onboard SIA’s Boeing 777 aircraft SQ478 was relaxing – food, wine, and entertaining latest movies. I watched Prince of Persia, Karate Kid, and the 3 part series of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight, Eclipse, and New Moon. Before I knew, I landed in Johannesburg for an hour stopover. Most people disembarked here, making our flight to Cape Town less crowded. I could see the land of South Africa in the light of dawn. The view as I arrived Cape Town was a captivating one – turquoise sea of the Atlantic Ocean surrounding Cape Town, with a backdrop of reddish-brown Table Mountain against a clear blue sky. Upon arrival, I hopped into our Hyundai Tucson and hit the road towards the seaside town of Arniston. I journeyed through the mountain, passing through Napier (gateway to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of Africa) and Bredasdorp before arriving at our destination – The Arniston Spa Hotel. This beautiful 4-star resort hotel oversees the beach and the Indian Ocean, and is only 5 minutes away from Die Herberg and Overberg Toetsbaan (OTB). My meeting would start the following day. But I thought this would be a nice place for a family vacation. Perhaps I should start planning for one.