Wednesday, October 6, 2010

5 Oct 2010 (TUE) - Denel Overberg Toetsbaan

Sunrise was radiant this morning. One could be easily captivated by the glittering reflection of the sun in the water. I ran further than yesterday along the coastline to the Waenhuiskrans National Reserve.
Besides the rock formations and caves in the cliff along the rocky shore, I was amazed by the fynbos and variety of birds here.









I ran to the Sand Dunes. I also saw a signboard that pointed to the direction of Cave (Grot), which would only be accessible at low tide. Perhaps tomorrow, I would run to the cave.









I went to check out the facilities at Die Herberg – a hotel and conference centre at the entrance Denel OTB and 5 minutes away from Arniston. Die Herberg originated as a fishing village with rich flora. Die Herberg’s tranquility would make it an ideal location for retreat and holiday.









In the afternoon, we ventured into OTB Missile Test Range with our Hyundai Tucson. This is a facility mainly for non-destructive testing of missile guidance systems. This is South Africa's designated satellite launch site, as well as Air Force Test & Development Facility. The adjacent Air Force runway can handle the Boeing 747s if the Cape Town International Airport becomes unusable.
On the way into the range, I spotted a solo ostrich running across the plain, a group of bonteboks (local deers) grazing,
a large brown hare that stood up to my knee-level bopping around (hares have long hind legs and shorter fore legs ... hence the bopping), and a poisonous snake. What a visual treat!
There are some beautiful collections of plants too.









I was told that this wild fig would make very nice wild fig jam too. I should look for some in the supermarket.
This 2x4 wheel drive has proven to me that Hyundai Tucson is indeed a good cross-country SUV. We got the right SUV, dear!